7 February 2015

The Gap Year Grind | Introducing Michel'Lee

Hello there! So today I have Michel'Lee from Being Perfectly Flawed  guest posting for me! She's also taking a gap year #gapyearbuddies!


Hey Voyageur Africaine readers, my name is Michel’Lee Williams, I’m 20 years old and I’m from the Turks & Caicos Islands; located in the Caribbean. Living in the Turks & Caicos Islands, I sometimes take for granted the amazing natural beauty that is literally walking distance from my house. Island life is really simple, yet amazing. Yes, the weather is “almost” always perfect, besides hurricane season and sometimes during the winter. No we don’t live huts and under palm trees (LOL ); and no I’m not always in a bathing suit, but I do have a friend who is. Oh, and Norkor, you can definitely visit me. Any day! I enjoy reading, TV shows, music, occasional quality beach time and of course sleeping (seriously). 


I am a new blogger, owner of beingperfectlyflawed.blogspot.com. I started blogging last year (2014), mainly because I was taking a gap year after achieving my Associate Degree in college and I got carried away when making my gap year bucket list. I thought “Hey, I love writing and I need to start expressing myself. Blogging it is!” It was a no-brainer. Taking a gap year initially was not a choice neither was it a part of my plans for my life (apparently it was a part of God’s). I took a gap year due to lack of financial funds. This was definitely a tough time for me. I didn’t know what my next step would have been; I didn’t know how to even think about my next step. 

The biggest challenge for me during my gap year at first was accepting that I was taking a gap year. Taking a gap year is usually something that an individual wants and makes plans for ahead of time; that was so not the case for me. I mean yea, eventually I wanted some time off from school, but I just didn’t want it while I had big plans for University ( come on, this was University....in a foreign place….with new experiences). After a few pep talks with myself, I accepted my gap year with open arms. 

 I was not going to allow an entire year go by with me being sad over something I had no control over and I definitely was not going to give the devil any head space. I picked myself up with encouraging words from loved ones and with my faith in God.  My next challenge was getting everything on my gap year bucket list done and done! The biggest challenge on that list was getting a job (which was #1 btw). It wasn’t until this month, 5 months into my gap year, I blessedly got a job. 

So far I am beyond grateful I took a gap year. I’m learning so much about myself. For years I thought I knew what I wanted and who I was wanted to be, boy was I wrong! During my gap year I had a bit too much free time (haha), and that was exactly what I needed. Some ‘me time’. For years it has been all about school, study, exams, assignments…God knew that I just needed to stop and breathe; and my gap year gave me just that.  A breather was exactly what I needed to find myself, to grow, to draw closer to God and to learn about who I am. My nightmare turned into my best dream; taking a gap year was definitely a blessing in disguise for me. I would not have changed anything about it. I wouldn’t do anything differently; I wouldn’t even go back to hoping the funds were available at the time.

 That’s how much of an positive effect my gap year is currently having on me. Nevertheless, if I had to go back to change something about my gap year, it would certainly be how I emotionally accepted it. Had I known taking a gap year would have been such a great personal experience, I would not have cried or get angry at God for not doing it my way. Besides personal growth, the best thing about my gap year so far is the amazing rush I get from being able to check something off from my gap year bucket list. LOL, as silly as that sounds, it is true. 

I would advise any high school graduate or college graduate, like myself, who is deciding to take a gap year to go for it! There’s so much that can be learned within a year without the stress of books and exams. Make the best of your year off. Try new things. Take the time out and not just find yourself, but create yourself. 

-xox
Michel’Lee Williams
Being Perfectly Flawed
Thank you so much Michel'Lee! 

In His hand is the life of every creature and the breath of all mankind - Job:12-10
Bloglovin' | Pinterest | Instagram | Facebook

1 comment

  1. It is truly so amazing what you learn about yourself when your head comes up from the books for a bit. I was so focused on getting my degree... accomplishing MY goals. I felt God unsettling me my Junior year of nursing school and felt He was telling me to step away from college. I didn't return to my senior year and instead became a ministry intern at a church plant 400+ miles away from home. I don't know if I'll ever go back honestly.... I'm praying God guides me each step but I'm so thankful that i stepped away when He said to.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from my readers! Please leave a lovely comment :)

© Voyageuse Africaine
Maira Gall