28 November 2014

Thanksgiving: An African Remix












Living in Africa, Thanksgiving celebrations usually go over our heads. It's an American holiday so obviously we don't celebrate it. I guess we don't need an excuse to have a bajillion people over and have food in abundance. That basically Sunday lunch. Just kidding. Kinda.

But this year, mother dearest and I were invited to a Nigerian-American Thanksgiving celebration, which was honestly the literal bomb diggity! The last time we "celebrated" Thanksgiving was like in 2008...for reasons I'm unsure of. ANYWAYS.

Back to the thanksgiving festivities. We all sat down and talked for a few minutes on what we were thankful for, and ughhhhhhh it was so so so great because every.single.person had A LOT  to be thankful for, and it was even more amazing because we were all thankful to God for every.single.thing.

After that, we had a ton of food. There was the obvious turkey thing going on, but we also had a ton of Nigerian/Ghanaian food which was so yum ugh can't. So good. And there was baked ziti which honestly just stole the show.

After the food, was the main event of the night which was dancing. There's nothing like being shy of dancing when it comes to West Africans. Thoughts like "ugh everyones gonna be watching me I'd rather not dance" literally do not run through our minds once Skelewu, Caro and Personally are playing. So sorry. *click the titles to give these songs a listen! They are such jams I cant even*

The living room was cleared out real quick, tables were moved quite speedily and DJ Uncle U played all our jams! We literally only sat down to catch our breaths.

So that was my Thanksgiving! I don't have any pictures because I didn't have my camera with me :(

To end this post, I am thankful for the fact that I am ALIVE, for the hope I have in Jesus Christ, for my amazing family [because not everyone has that, I'm thinking of all the babies I work with at the children's home and it's heartbreaking yo], for the fact that I graduated from HIGH SCHOOL. YALL. High school was a struggle and 5/6th but man graduating was God's doing.

What are YOU thankful for today? Do you celebrate Thanksgiving? And if you do, HOW WAS YOURS? I really want to hear about it. Like fah real.

You May Have Missed:
11 Awesome Tips for a Relaxing Night In
A Heart for Missions // Meet Adora {A Guest Post}
An Open Letter to Senegal 

Be joyful always; pray continuously; give thanks in all circumstances. for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus. - 1 Thessalonians 5: 16-18


9 comments

  1. I wish that baked ziti was at our Thanksgiving dinner! That sounds so good! It's so cool to realize just how much that God has blessed us with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been on a HUGE Psquare kick recently. Nigerian music is super popular in Tanzania, along with the local swahili bongo flava. Sooooo good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this! Wish my thanksgiving was like that! Love your writing style...you're so funny! Glad DJ Uncle U gave you the hook up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds like a fun Thanksgiving. And the baked ziti. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much Ms. Lindsey! Dj Uncle U won us over hahaah thanks for stopping by! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was so much fun! I'm still a little sad that I didn't have a second serving of the baked ziti! :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh my gosh yes! I haven't really been looking out for Swahili bongo flava but I have to say some of the ones I've heard are such jams! :O

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like you had a fun African style Thanksgiving. The dancing sounds fun. What are some Nigerian/Ghanaian type foods? My Thanksgiving was good I enjoyed the time I got to spend with family and the great food, I have a few pictures on my blog, here . No pictures of the family because we did not take any..but there is a picture of my plate and the loads of good food I consumed throughout the day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. It was! We eat a lot of different things, but plantain and yams and that sorta stuff are ranked quite high! Your Thanksgiving looks so fantastic! :D

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from my readers! Please leave a lovely comment :)

© Voyageuse Africaine
Maira Gall